Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Music

Music is like religion to me (not a God, but a lifestyle). Lyrics proclaim the emotions I am not eloquent enough to speak and music projects those feelings so strongly that you can only feel joy after singing at the top of your lungs for 3 and 1/2 minutes.

I truly believe there is a song for every moment in life, no matter how grand or insignificant it may seem. Over the next few.. however long I feel like doing this... I will share with you five songs per post. Five songs that are pure magic to me in some way or another. Maybe I'll introduce you to some new bands, maybe I'll drudge up a classic you haven't heard in years. No matter what, I guarantee your ears will enjoy the 20 minutes spent on this page.

Day 1 - Alison's Favorite Songs

I refuse to number these because honestly my top 5 songs rotate order based on my mood, environment, & stress levels, so here they are in alphabetical order by band:

  • Weightless - All Time Low (2009)
    • We've all been here: "maybe it's not my weekend, but it's gonna be my year... I've been going crazy I don't wanna waste another minute here." The lyrics in this song are more powerful than just about any other pop punk song ever written. There's even more power in the music. Start out slow... give it a little edge then get loud and fast.... so wonderfully orchestrated. Also Alex Gaskarth has the voice of an angel and Rian, Jack, and Zack are right there with him!
    • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpG3BxRctQ4
  • When You Say Nothing at All - Allison Krause ft. Keith Whitley (1989, 2002)
    • This is truly the most beautiful love song I've ever heard. If you've never been in love, this song perfectly illustrates what it feels like. "The smile on your face lets me know that you need me, there's a truth in your eyes saying you'll never leave me..." 
    • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpG3BxRctQ4
  • Hero/Heroine - Boys Like Girls (2006)
    • This is another fantastic song both lyrically and musically. When you sing along you can't help but smile. "Do you know that your love is the sweetest sin?... never felt so good to be so wrong..." Another heavily underrated pop punk band from the States!
    • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYNznNBeDnQ
  • Friends in Low Places (Live) - Garth Brooks (1990)
    • SPECIFICALLY THE LIVE VERSION because there is an extra verse that makes this song. But again, who hasn't been in this place before and needed a big screw you to someone who did you wrong? And you know what, you still have friends to help you get through anything. "I'll be as high as that ivory tower that you're living in..."
    • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w8wcmZQ-pc
  • Unwound - George Strait (1981)
    • The King has 60 #1 hits, yet my favorite will always be his first single ever... the one that peaked at #6. Most people reading this probably won't like this song because it's so twangy, but I cannot resist George's voice mixed with the fiddles. I love paradoxes... how upbeat people can be in negative situations. It's the cheating man's side of the story and he knows how wrong he is and owns up to it. Not to mention the play on words. Gotta love it.
    • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHHU-Aeuxg8

Happy singing!!



No comments:

Post a Comment