Friday, November 2, 2012

Cooking Substitutes

I always seem to run out of 1 ingredient when I'm cooking & don't have enough user or time or patience or money to go buy the necessary. So what do I do? Google: substitutes for ______

After years of this cooking method I've compiled a list of the things that work best as subbies/
Enjoy my wisdom :)

Vegetable Oil:
Applesauce. (I'm 100% serious.) Equivalent 1:1.
Healthier too!

Eggs:
Bananas.
Bananas + Baking powder if you need a rise out of your food.
1/2 banana = 1 egg

Applesauce
Also doesn't rise. 1/4-cup = 1 egg

Vanilla Extract:
Maple syrup. 1:1.
Much more of a household ingredient for sure!

Butter:
Peanut Butter 1:1
Peanut Butter & a splash of oil FOR BAKING
Applesauce: 1.25:1 (applesauce:butter)

Beer:
Chicken broth 1:1 (have not tried this one though)

Bread crumbs:
cracker crumbs (that you get to make yourself!!)

Chocolate Chips:
chocolate candy bars... just break them up yourself

Yogurt & Sour Cream are interchangeable for baking (if the flavor doesn't matter)



Happy cooking!!


No comments:

Post a Comment