Friday, July 6, 2012

Glitter Cookie Jar DIY

Even though glitter is the STD of the craft world, us girls still love the scintillation of a nicely glittered object.  I've seen quite a few different objects glitterfied & in MANY different ways, so I tried a few out & found my favorite while creating the perfect gift for my best friend!

She loves pink & baking, so I came up with a DIY glitter cookie jar. I wanted the entire thing COVERED from tip to toe in glitter, no room to see the cookies!

Here's what I did in pictures, with the captions as the steps:


Here's the final product so you know what we're aiming for. That glitter ain't going anywhere, folks!
This jar is 9-10" high & 4.5" in diameter.

Here are your ingredients:
Jar of any size, glitter (I chose the "medium" glitter), regular modge podge, a paintbrush, and TIME

First coat the area you wish to start with in purely modge podge. You will paint this on.
Then dash glitter atop it & "paint" it across.
The glitter will be very sparse at the beginning.
Let this coat dry.
I recommend doing up to 2 sides at a time (as seen here)
You will need to repeat this process 3-5 times until there are few "holy" areas. Don't worry about the edges quite yet (they're really tricky!)
I decided to work on the lid as the other dried, here is some progress with it as well
Once again, tricky edges
Begin a second color, if you wish

After the entire thing has been sparsely coated:
MIX THE MODGE PODGE & GLITTER.
You want to see more of the glitter color than modge podge, as seen with the paste

Coat the ENTIRE thing with this paste. TWICE. At minimum. This will cover every inch of the jar.
Don't worry about the white look to it, the Modge Podge WILL DRY CLEAR & the glitter will stay "stuck!" 

Dries perfect enough for you to paint on top of the glitter or use permanent marker on it!!


Now, this process took me about 10 minutes each coat, about 5 times on day 1 and twice on day 2.
It's a great DIY when you have other things to do and need many breaks OR you have little breaks throughout your day.



Good luck, glitterers ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment